Thursday, April 26, 2012

Caffeine Distraction


Do your characters talk to you?

Mine don't.

They scream.

That's a good thing, I guess. But other voices talk to me. Yeah, I know. You're thinking, "This dude is crazy." No, I'm not. Well, just a little.

Who are these people? you may ask. Actually, they're real persons who talk, talk, and talk when I'm writing. They are like the people who clap in the middle of a Classical concert. So, so distracting.

I was writing in a coffee shop when one young girl, let's call her Latte, said, "You've seen the latest? It's so, you know... WOW. So good." That didn't make sense at all but of course, that ignited my curiosity, so I listened.

"I didn't, 'cause I was with you-know-who, and he was so handsome, and cute, and--" said the other girl, who I'll call Java.

"I know!" Latte interrupted. She sighed. "I wish I had a boyfriend like yours. He's so--"

"Awwww," said Java, staring at the window, pointing outside. "Look at the doggie. So cute. I want to punch him."

Latte sipped whatever she was drinking, looked at the sky, and moaned.

"I'll call him Cutie. Is he a beagle?" asked Java.

Latte looked down, facing Java. "Ohmygosh, my latte-marianno-frotte-lotte is so, so out of this world."

Difficult to follow, eh? This is my typical morning at the coffee shop.

I need to find another place to write. Oh, well.

This is what I have to stand just to get my daily dose of caffeine.

4 comments :

  1. Gerardo, Did this really happen to you? Were you in California in the Valley?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah. I was in my neighborhood's coffee shop and overhead these two girls. Fun, distracting, stuff.

      Delete
  2. lol I call it dribble, talk about the absolute mundane, talking for the sake of talking about 'nothing' ....distracting indeed perhaps because like I you hope that the conversation will morph into something more interesting? :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, the conversation never morphed, and I was stuck listening.

      Delete